Social Sprouts, SLP is a pediatric speech and language therapy practice providing therapy in New York City and Upstate NY (Columbia County). We specialize in social skills playgroups for children ages 3-10 years old. In addition to playgroups, Social Sprouts, SLP provides individual speech and language therapy to children ages birth through 16 years with a variety of speech and language impairments. Social Sprouts also offers consulting services and in-service training for those working with the special needs population.
To facilitate social skill and pragmatic language development, Social Sprouts, SLP offers social skills playgroups that are organized based on age, language abilities, play skills and social pragmatic development. Theme-based instruction is centered around play, and incorporates movement and language based activities to facilitate a variety of social interactions between children.
Benefits of Social Skills Playgroups Include:
- Joining In and Initiating Play with Peers
- Increased Flexibility
- Increased Eye Contact
- Turn Taking & Sharing
- Reciprocal Commenting and Question Asking
- Negotiating Conflicts & Problem Solving
- Cooperative and Collaborative Play Skills
- Increased Social Confidence
- Emotional Awareness in Self and Others
- Increased Independence from Adults in a Group Setting
- Building and Sustaining Friendships
- Improving Conversational Skills